Friday, January 4, 2008

Old but new

We had a fun and rewarding project that we worked on just before Christmas. A client contacted us and said she found some old 8mm film that had been in her family dating back to the 1940's. Her mother is in poor health and she wanted to archive the footage and have us compose something on DVD that her mother and family members would enjoy watching. Of particular interest to us was a 1945 wedding captured on 8mm. Here we are 62 years later watching the beginning of this couples journey as Husband and Wife. After the footage was digitized I could not wait to take a peak into this families past. There was the 1945 wedding, Christmas at the farm in 1945, train shots of a vacation the family took, a cat that seemed to appear in the footage from 1945 to the 60's (maybe it just looked like the same cat) and family reunions and other get togethers. One thing that really hit me was (1) Life is very short and how time does fly by and (2) Families are very important and creating memories is far more treasured than any tangible thing you can buy. I think about the things I received as gifts as a child....mmm....can't think of any. But I do remember special trips with Mom and Dad and the time my Dad took off of work early to take me to the Indianapolis 500. I guess this is one of the reasons I feel we are blessed to get to do the work we do in documenting weddings and the reason why it is so very important to us.

Here is the comment we received today from our client:

Dear John,

"I wanted to thank-you and your wife for the great job you did in creating the DVD from my old 8mm family films. I really appreciated getting it in time for Christmas and it was a big hit with my family. We liked the composition/editing and the music. All in all it achieved a "priceless" rating from my family.
Thanks again"

Nancy

No comments: