Monday, July 7, 2008

I'll Drop a Quarter



Yesterday morning Jen and I were rushing around the house preparing for the day. The first shoot was a memorial service that was being held at the Indianapolis Arts Center. We drove separate to church because I had a couple of shoots to do afterwards. Jen and the kids left for church and I was still gathering some things up. Starting to go out the door I forgot some directions that were in our room. Making my way down the the hall toward our bedroom I just made it past a cold air return register that is on the floor. As I passed by, I heard "plink". Wondering what the noise was I backed up and looked down and saw a quarter and told myself, 'I'll get that later'.

My brother Steve and I arrived at the Indianapolis Arts Center and set up for the shoot and briefly met the widow of Ed Klink, Sheila Klink. The auditorium was filled with family and friends. Ed Klink was a very successful businessman and artist.

Among the people speaking about Ed's life were his daughter's, son, and close friends. A common theme was that Ed lived life to the fullest, never wanting to waste a moment. He was very involved with his children and grand children. It was also mentioned that he made mistakes in life just like everyone else but he corrected and moved on. It was amazing to hear the stories. I was impressed with Ed, someone I never knew. Ed was a Westpoint graduate, served 2 tours of Vietnam, graduated from business school at Harvard, launched several businesses, was passionate about the mountains and fly fishing, a nationally recognized artists, an admired father and grandfather, and a loving husband.

Many of the speech's given were moving but the most moving of all, at least for me, was from his granddaughter, who was about 8 years old. She walked up with Mrs. Klink and stood as her chin barely cleared the podium. She spoke of the things she remembered. The time papaw helped make gingerbread houses, the time spent just talking and she remembered that he helped her catch her very first fish. She was so brave and was fighting back tears and had to stop looking up at Mrs. Klink saying, "I'm done". I remember thinking way to go Ed, you made your mark on this little girl.

Mrs. Klink spoke of her gratitude for everyone and the incredible support she received throughout Ed's illness. Ed ultimately succumbed to complications from Lyme disease, which occurred in 2005. Mrs. Klink and their children were with Ed during his last hours. Ed and Sheila talked non stop at the very end. One of the very last things he said to her was this: "It's Beautiful, It's You, Always There, One" Mrs. Klink went on to explain that Ed told her he wanted his memorial to be filmed and that he would come and watch it with her. He told her, you will know I'm around because I will drop a quarter. As soon as she said that I vaguely remembered a quarter I saw earlier in the day and then I remembered the quarter that I heard drop into the register. Coincidence? Possibly.

Steve and I left the Arts Center for another shoot downtown Indy, but it was on my way home about 9:30pm as I thought about the day and what it all meant. I have always believed that God wants you to experience life and yesterday was one of those experiences. What was the message I got from this? Exactly what was printed in the memorial program:
"In the end, all that really matters is
How well did you live
How well did you love
How well did you learn to let go."

I have found a new favorite artist...Ed Klink. The artwork above is one of his pieces. Just Google his name and you will find other work he has done. You can read his obituary in the Indianapolis Star

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome you guys...I bet there wasn't a dry eye around. :)

Anonymous said...

I love stories that give me chills! Thanks for sharing! :)